Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tips On Dealing With 'Painter's Block'

If you're an artist, have you ever sat and drooled as you stared at a canvas or sheet of fine quality paper not knowing what to paint next? Do you even have the slightest idea on what to start drawing or painting? I've done this many times myself after going long streaks of whipping something really nice up. All of that creative energy was just spent; or so it seems.

What can you do in this situation? If you're reading this, then you obviously have internet access. You're seeking advice and answers on the world wide web. I can't say this is the "cure" for Painter's Block, but it sure helps.

Here's what I do in these situations:

1) Look up Images on any search engine and view other peoples' artwork. This gets me in the mood to create similar things. It doesn't even have to be artwork, but maybe photographs. Flowers, dragons, fish, people..etc. There are so many images we can use to help fuel our creativity.

2) Ask your friends and family or people on various forums that you might visit for ideas. I know, I know..it seems pathetic but some people have ideas that I don't. And besides, it gives others a chance who don't 'do' art to see what their ideas may look like on paper or canvas.

3) Write down what you think you need to work on. Is it scales of a fish? Are you trying to find a unique technique? Make your brush strokes more smooth? Insect or bat wings? Lighting? You can turn your rough drafts and experiments into a masterpiece! Do some finishing touches until you feel it's prepared for display.

4) Have you looked back at your older work lately? Sometimes I'll dig up an old sketchbook I finished back in High School! As primitive and 'wrong' as they all seem, I'll analyze every bit and compare them with what I've got going for me now. Again, we go back to tip number 3 with writing down what you need to work on, if anything. Doing this may also give you some ideas.

5) The last thing I start doing is just biting the bullet and start doing random brush strokes here and there like a madman! Then I'll do some tweaking and outlining to my liking until it turns into something recognizable. Most of the time I fail at this, but that's why we just call it an abstract. (I'm joking)...

Now that I'm suffering from writer's block, I hope you find this article useful!

Kristy S. is the founder of Kayjo Designs. If you are searching for more ideas or examples, please visit my blog at http://kayjoshack.blogspot.com/

I update my blog frequently with ideas and content. I'm also open to advice or suggestions from my readers.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment