Sunday, June 26, 2011

Talent in Airbrushing

Even if you know how to use airbrush and you know how to use masking and stencils to create some special effect but when it comes to art, the piece you just painted has no artistic value. Let me explain! Imagine you are doing real fire effect following all the guidance from professionals (DVD, books, etc.) and the harder you try the worse it gets. Even after long days (maybe weeks) you aren't getting any further. It still doesn't look like real fire.

From my experience I was very bad in portraits. I always wanted to paint some of my friends or some famous person but every time I tried the result didn't satisfied me. When I showed it to somebody, the first impression was "WOW!", "This is great!" but when I said who was on that portrait I heard only "Are You Sure?"

There is no problem to do nature, still life or animals but when it comes to people faces I had no chance. Trying to find out what is wrong I just couldn't. Everything was proportional and right sized (I think) but I've missed something and most of my portraits were named "Unknown."

At the present time artists have tools that makes their lives much easier. I'm sure that many of them use stencils not just to speed up their work but get the exact look of original.

I don't think that real art need stencils. I'm fine with masking, for airbrush it is really necessary. Or special stencils that are used just for masking (real fire effect), but I don't know why they are called stencils anyway.

What I mean here are stencils made with full shape of painted object (like skulls, dragons, etc.). So after all, everything you need are skills with airbrush but no talent. Talent comes only when you want that stencil object to look realistic and all that left of stencil is just its shape. So very important thing if you want to show your talent then you always have to make final look of the painting be your only one unique original.

Another thing is that you use your own stencils. Before I meant stencils that you can buy online or in your local shop. Now imagine that there could be literally thousands of people who had bought the very same stencil you did. I don't think that stencils make a good name for airbrushing. Yes it makes it easier, but have same stuff on hundreds of vehicles makes it look like the car or bike wasn't painted at all but it is just a sticker.

I have to mention one name - Mike Lavallee. He uses his own stencils but the final painting looks totally awesome and original. You can't even see the trace of a stencil. If you have seen any of Mike's works you have to know that after stencil always comes free hand and that hand belong to a real artist and the result looks awesome.

Can Airbrushing be Described as Art?

According to Wikipedia "Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions." So if you bring to your painting your thoughts and emotions then you creating an art. Otherwise blind copying of the stencil can not be taken as art.

Sergej Voronko is writing more ideas about airbrush. If you are a beginner this is going to be the right place to start with airbrush blog.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment